Historic Center of Florence

11.17.2010

I'm picking out a Thermos for You...

Ok so I was just thinking as I walked around on this rare, sunshiny day and remembering that I hadn't thought of any culture clues to share with you lately. Well I thought of a few:

1) We may have mentioned before that Italians don't seem to believe in food "to go." You rarely see people moving with food or drink. Which leads me to my profound realization that I have never seen a single thermos while we've been here! This is sad as it is one of my favorite past times to bring a thermos of tea or coffee with me to class but the thermos doesn't exist here in Italia land. Guess I'll have to buy more machine cappuccino...

2) I know we've mentioned several times that we don't have an oven in our apartment, but have we mentioned that we lack a dryer as well? We are looking forward to a time in the future when we will no longer have crunchy clothing. Having the heat turned on definitely helps our drying racks fulfill their duty.

3) All the teenagers smoke and drink, which it's probably not THAT different from the States is just that they do it in public here b/c well, it's allowed. I think we've said this before but the Italians must not have received the "Smoking is BAD for you" memo...

4) Emo and punk are not so evident here, but "Scene" seems to be abundant though it's a little hard to distinguish since everyone pretty much dresses the same way:

5) Scarves, jackets, skinny jeans, and boots. This is pretty much what EVERYONE wears. Truthfully, it's quite practical fashion.

6) Tattoos don't seem to be very popular but odd piercings abound. Most popular are the bull ring in the nose, the middle of the chin, and the frown lines between the eyebrows. yikes!

7) This is one of my favorites. It's so funny. Popular music here seems to consist of 80's pop music, American pop music, Latiny guitar music, and some sort of cheesy, breezy, sad, romantic, wailing sort of music... maybe that falls under the 80's love ballad genre - only in the Italian language. baha!

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment